Connecting a Classic Trainer with a Power Meter or Speed Sensor
What you need
Even if you don’t have a smart trainer or power meter, FulGaz can convert speed on your classic trainer into “virtual power” so the video playback adjusts realistically. All you need is a speed sensor.
What to expect
While the video speed will adjust based on your “virtual power,” you won’t get the same realistic feedback as you would with a smart trainer or power meter. Your speed in FulGaz will not be the same as your speed on the trainer. Instead, it will be your “virtual” speed at that point in the FulGaz ride. The video will slow on climbs and accelerate on descents.
To still get a great training session, shift into a harder gear on climbs, which is easy once you get the rhythm.
What if FulGaz doesn’t recognize your power meter
- Another app has paired with your KICKR, preventing the connection. Quit all apps on nearby computers, iPads or iPhones that may have paired with your trainer.
- Your power meter is not equipped to transmit a Bluetooth signal. All Stages power meters have Bluetooth and many Power Tap meters now include it. Many cheaper devices are starting to feature Bluetooth. Check for a Bluetooth connection from your meter by downloading the Wahoo Fitness app.
Connecting via ANT+
If your power meter lacks Bluetooth, you can connect using a Wahoo ANT+ Key, which also allows you to connect Garmin sensors. The Garmin ANT+ Key looks very similar but only works with Garmin apps.
FulGaz will work with Wattbikes featuring the larger head unit if you have a Wahoo ANT+ Key. FulGaz cannot connect via the Bluetooth in the head unit.
What if your iPad can’s see your sensors
This happens for two reasons:
- Garmin sensors connect via ANT+ while iPads and iPhones use Bluetooth. For FulGaz to connect with your Garmin sensors, you will need a Wahoo ANT+ Key.
- If you have Bluetooth sensors and FulGaz can’t see them, another app may have paired with your sensor. Quit all Bluetooth-enabled apps on nearby computers, iPads or iPhones that may have paired with your sensor.
Classic trainers that support “virtual power”
FulGaz can convert trainer speed into “virtual power” for the following trainers:
- 1UP USA Trainer
- BT Advanced Training System
- Cyclops Fluid 2
- Cyclops Magneto Pro
- Elite Arion Mag
- Elite Supercrono Powermag
- Elite Turbo Muin
- Elite Qubo Power Fluid
- Kurt Kinetic Cyclone
- Kurt Kinetic Road Machine
- Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll
- LeMond Revolution
- Minoura V100
- Minoura V270
- Minoura V150
- Minoura V130
- Minoura LR340
- Minoura LR540
- Saris Powerbeam Pro
- Tacx Satori
- Tacx Flow
- Tacx Blue Twist
- Tacx Blue Motion